Traffic Impact Bulletin – August 8-14, 2016
We’re excited to share with you all of the Streetscape construction components that have been completed this week.
• Business continuity and parking wayfinding signs have been installed.
• Electrical work from Salzedo Street to Galiano Street has been completed with the installation of the underground electrical conduits in the 100 and 200 blocks.
• Root Pruning – Phase 4 root barrier and structural soil placement has been completed.
• Unhealthy Sable Palm and Pink Tabebuias have been removed in the 00 & 300 block on the south side.
While the project has encountered a couple of early obstacles, not atypical for projects of this scale and complexity, the construction schedule is being revised as a result and we hope to be able to share something with you in our next bulletin. The City remains absolutely committed to fast tracking this project to minimize disruption and to pick up the time lost, and have placed one of our employees at the job site to ensure coordination.
In addition, the City and its partners are also investing in a number of marketing initiatives, including business continuity and parking way-finding signs, advertising, and events that will help to keep and attract customers to our Downtown in support of our merchants. The City has also committed to helping in other ways, such as providing parking vouchers to our merchants, expanding trolley service, providing greater flexibility on business signage and other regulations, waiving several City fees, and other ideas.
The City is committed to this important project, and is putting as many resources behind it as we can to complete it on time, and minimize the disruptions to our business community as much as possible.
The roadway reconstruction and drainage work from Salzedo to Galiano Street will resume on Monday, August 8th. One lane of traffic will remain open at all times on the south side of Miracle Mile from LeJeune Road to Douglas Road. Please note that there will be no night time closures this week.
No weekend work is anticipated to be performed on Miracle Mile at this time.
GIRALDA AVENUE – 100 BLOCK
We anticipate commencing the roadway reconstruction and drainage work the week of on August 15th and the street will be closed to vehicular traffic. There will be no night time closures this week as a result of material delivery delays.
No weekend work is anticipated to be performed on Giralda Avenue at this time.
STREETSCAPE BULLETIN –
Miracle Mile & Giralda Avenue
HAPPENINGS AROUND TOWN
City of Coral Gables, the Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce and the Business Improvement District of Coral Gables announced the launch of Small Business Summer Days, a retail-focused initiative encouraging people to visit, shop and enjoy the world-class stores unique to the City Beautiful. Taking a page from the successful American Express campaign Small Business Saturday, of which, Coral Gables has been a participant for the past seven years, Small Business Summer Days will remind patrons of the same ‘shop local’ sentiment and offer local shop owners support during the slower summer season. Small Business Summer Days will include:
– August 5 – 7: Coral Gables Tax Free Weekend – Celebrate cut allowances on clothing, shoes, computers, and dates for Florida 2016 Sales Tax Holiday.
– August 13: Family Day on Aragon – Enjoy a free block party including discounted movies at the Coral Gables Art Cinema, free admission at the Coral Gables Museum and free entertainment at Books & Books.
– August 20: Summer Sidewalk Sale – Retailers will open their doors and invite patrons to peruse and shop the latest in fashion, accessories, and more.
Please remember to visit the Gables Streetscape website for the latest up-to-date as information on construction and programming (hyperlink to Streetscape site)
Have questions or concerns? Please call the Construction Information Hotline at (786) 444-6383 or contact Sandra Hodge, Public Information Officer at (786) 437-6689 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The construction schedule is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances and/or weather conditions. Access to businesses will be maintained at all times.